I travel more often than most people but I am by no means an expert traveler. However, I have flown 8 times already in 2018 and I have 2 more flights coming up. I have picked up a few things here and there on my travels. When I share these tips with friends they often say “What? So smart! I haven’t ever heard of that!”.
Here are my 8 packing tips for ANY trip!
- If you are flying to your final destination take advantage (if possible with your airports) to fly with a carrier that provides FREE BAGS! I always double check and make sure the flight is still cheaper than any other option with a paid bag though. HINT- It almost ALWAYS is! Free bags here we go!
- When checking bags (for example two) always split your items between both bags in case one bag is lost! For example, say you are going somewhere for six days and had six outfits to wear. I would pack 3 in each suitcase. I have never needed this but the peace of mind is worth the few minutes extra it takes to pack.
- NEVER pay over weight fees if you can help it! I weigh my bags at home on my own scale. I just simply weight myself and then hold my bag and weigh myself and minus the difference. This is usually close (maybe 2-3 pounds off) and at least keeps you on track when packing!
- Take snacks with you! Hotel snacks can be so pricey. If you know you are a snacker just throw a few granola bars (or more delicious but non-perishable snack of choice) in your checked bag. Save yourself time, money, and stress!
- I always personally keep my jewelry and cash in my carry on/personal bag. You can never be too safe these days- I often see friends pack their jewelry (even costume jewelry) in their checked bag. That is a big NO from me!
- Travel bags can really help keep you organized. I have a make up bag, a toiletry bag, electronics bag, and vitamins. I can always find what I need quickly and most things I can keep packed in the toiletry for my next trip! Hello time saver.
- Use the FREE Laundry bag from the hotel for dirty clothes. They usually have these in the closet for you to send your clothes out for washing. I toss all my dirty items in the bag and then when I arrive back home I can just dump that right in the washer! It makes it so much faster to unpack. Plus it keeps “smells” off your clean clothes while you are still on your trip or in your suitcase if you didn’t wear everything you took.
- Keep copies of your important documents in your carry on. I usually do this for cruises and then move it over to the safe or a safe place in the room once I arrive. I take a copy of my photo ID, Credit Card (front and back), insurance card, etc. If you are a victim of robbery you have access to all of your information to start the grueling process of shutting of cards, etc. If you are traveling overseas you want to have a copy of your passport etc. in case you misplace yours/or if it was forbid stolen.
I hope these 8 packing tips are useful to you! If you are packing for a cruise or heading north check out my Alaskan Cruise Packing List